The Madawaska Valley Fire Department responded to 3535B Old Barry’s Bay Road on June 22, 2019 for the first bush fire of 2019. (Above. Photo Corwin Quade)
The call came at 6:55 p.m. and the first trucks were on scene in eight minutes. Four trucks and fourteen fire fighters responded from both halls. The fire was brought under control and extinguished in 30 minutes. There was no damage to any structures; the fire burnt just under a half acre of grass and brush.
This fire was the result of burning of materials in the morning. The person who lit the fire thought it was out. But the fire smoldered for the day and when the winds picked up, it re-ignited then spread to the grass and brush.
MV Fire Department reminds you to make sure that you drown your fire completely and never leave it unattended. If a fire such as this one gets out of control, it can be costly.
Remember you need a permit to burn and this is two hours before sunset and the fire must be extinguished two hours after sunrise. (This does not include camp fires)
Burn barrels and any burning of household garbage is illegal. Charges may be laid against anyone caught violating the regulations.
Fire Chief Corwin Quade said,
The Madawaska Valley Fire Department wants everyone to have a safe, fun summer.
Madawaska Valley Fire Department, (2019,June24) Old Barry’s Bay Road brush fire [press release]