The Ontario government, in consultation with the Chief Medical Officer of Health, is extending orders currently in force under the Reopening Ontario (A Flexible Response to COVID-19) Act, 2020 (ROA). The extensions provide the government with the necessary flexibility to address the ongoing risks and effects of the COVID-19 outbreak and ensure important measures remain in place to protect vulnerable populations, such as seniors, people with developmental disabilities and those with mental health and addiction issues.
All orders under the ROA have been extended to September 22, 2020, with the following exceptions:
- The Education Sector order will end on August 31, 2020.
- The Limitation Periods order will end and suspended time periods will resume running on September 14, 2020.
On July 21, 2020, the Ontario Legislature passed the ROA to ensure important measures remained in place to address the sustained threat of COVID-19 once the provincial Declaration of Emergency came to an end. Orders, made under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act (EMCPA) that were in effect when the ROA came into force, were continued under the new act for an initial 30 days. Under the ROA, orders can be extended for up to 30 days at a time.
The government will continue to review all orders and will report on order extensions to the newly created Select Committee on Emergency Management Oversight.
The following orders under the ROA have been extended until September 22, 2020:
- Work Redeployment for Certain Health Service Providers
- Drinking Water Systems and Sewage Works
- Electronic Service
- Electricity Price for RPP Consumers
- Work Deployment Measures in Long-Term Care Homes
- Streamlining Requirements for Long-Term Care Homes
- Prohibition on Certain Persons Charging Unconscionable Prices for Sales of Necessary Goods
- Work Deployment Measures for Boards of Health
- Work Deployment Measures in Retirement Homes
- Service Agencies Providing Services and Supports to Adults with Developmental Disabilities and Service Providers Providing Intervenor Services
- Signatures in Wills and Powers of Attorney
- Use of Force and Firearms in Policing Services
- Temporary Health or Residential Facilities
- Work Deployment Measures for Service Agencies Providing Violence Against Women Residential Services and Crisis Line Services
- Limiting Work to a Single Long-Term Care Home
- Work Deployment Measures for District Social Services Administration Boards
- Deployment of Employees of Service Provider Organizations
- Work Deployment Measures for Municipalities
- Limiting Work to a Single Retirement Home
- Work Deployment Measures for Mental Health and Addictions Agencies
- Congregate Care Settings
- Access to Personal Health Information by Means of the Electronic Health Record
- Certain Persons Enabled to Issue Medical Certificates of Death
- Hospital Credentialing Processes
- Treatment of Temporary COVID-19 Related Payments to Employees
- Management of Long-Term Care Homes in Outbreak
- Management of Retirement Homes in Outbreak
- Special Rules Re: Temporary Pandemic Pay
- Enforcement of Orders
- Stages of Reopening
- Rules for Areas in Stage 1
- Rules for Areas in Stage 2
- Rules of Areas in Stage 3
Warner,S. and Ross,B.(2020,Aug.20) Ontario Extends Orders Under the Reopening Ontario Act, 2020 [media release]