Further to The Current’s exclusive report on the raid of a cannabis grow-op near Palmer Rapids last Friday as it was taking place, the OPP have now released the following details of the operation:
Members of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) East Region Community Street Crime Unit (CSCU) have seized approximately 8,000 thousand cannabis plants in Brudenell-Lyndoch-Raglan Township.
CSCU officers, along with members of the OPP Organized Crime Enforcement Bureau (OCEB), OPP Emergency Response Team (ERT), OPP Canine Unit and the Killaloe Detachment executed a warrant on September 11, 2020 at a location on Wingle Road. Above: greenhouse grow Photo OPP
In addition to the cannabis plants, officers also seized a large quantity of processed cannabis, growing and processing equipment, two rifles and over $10,000 in Canadian currency.
Eleven people were arrested at or near the location:
- Chengdi LI, age 53 of Brudenell-Lyndoch-Raglan Township
- Shaobin OU, age 52 of Markham
- Xianbao OU, age 57 of Toronto
- Shi Kai OU, age 32 of North York
- Wang Rong ZOU, age 57 of Scarborough
- Guiying CHEN, age 53 of North York
- Rui Bin LIN, age 66 of Toronto
- Shuxia WANG, age 51 of Scarborough
- Chunyi LI, age 63 of Scarborough
- Tiandong LIU, age 66 of Toronto
- Jing OU, age 18 of Markham
All have been charged with:
- Cultivate propagate or harvest more than four cannabis plants – Cannabis Act (CA) sec. 12(5)
- Possession of proceeds obtained by crime – Criminal Code (CC) sec. 354(1)(a)
All accused persons were released on an undertaking and are scheduled to attend the Ontario Court of Justice in Killaloe on October 28, 2020.
Dickson,B. OPP East Region(2020,Sept.16) OPP SEIZES 8000 CANNABIS PLANTS SOUTH OF KILLALOE [media release]