Announcements late this week made jointly by Renfrew County and District Health Unit (RCDHU) and Renfrew County District School Board (RCDSB) confirm that cases of COVID-19 have been identified at schools in Arnprior and in Renfrew. On Thursday, Nov. 26 it was announced that a staff member at A.J. Charbonneau Public School in Arnprior has a positive laboratory-confirmed case of novel coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19). On Friday, Nov. 27 a further media release stated that a student at Renfrew College Institute in Renfrew also has a positive laboratory-confirmed case of novel coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19). In both cases, RCDHU said all students and staff who have been deemed to be a close contact of the positive cases, have been given direction to go home immediately to self-isolate and arrange for testing. Both schools remain open to in-person learning for all other students and staff.
RCDHU is working closely with the RCDSB to ensure necessary measures continue to be in place to protect all staff, students and the public. RCDHU staff is actively investigating the case and all high risk contacts will be contacted by RCDHU for further instructions. If you are a high risk contact:
- You MUST self-isolate and self-monitor for symptoms for 14 days. Do NOT return to work, school or child care, in-person;
- Call the Renfrew County Virtual Triage Assessment Centre (RC VTAC) at 1-844-727-6404 to book an appointment for testing;
- If test result is negative, continue 14-day isolation because of exposure and because COVID-19 could have been developing (incubating) at time of test;
- If test result is positive, continue to self-isolate and you will be contacted by RCDHU.
If you have been directed to self-isolate, you are required to:
- Stay home. Do not go to work, school, child care, or public places. You can go outside, but you must stay on your own property. Do not walk around the neighbourhood.
- Avoid contact with others. No visitors unless deemed essential (e.g. care providers), stay in a separate room away from other people within your household, use a separate bathroom if possible.
- If these steps are not possible, maintain a distance of 2 metres from others at all times.
- Keep your distance. If you are in a room with other people, keep a distance of at least 2 metres and wear a mask or face covering that covers your nose and mouth.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
RCDHU is reminding residents to complete the COVID-19 self-assessment tool or COVID-19 school and child care self-assessment tool daily if they go to work, school or daycare, to monitor for symptoms and proper guidance. For more information, visit RCDHU’s website at https://www.rcdhu.com/novel-coronavirus-covid-19-2/ or call 613-732-3629 or 1-800-267-1097.
Additionally, parents/guardians may visit https://www.rcdsb.on.ca/en/parents/covid-19-school-updates.asp or each school website to view the number of active, confirmed, positive COVID-19 cases at a RCDSB school.
Renfrew County and District Health Unit(2020,Nov.26) RCDHU Confirms Staff Member at A.J. Charbonneau Public School Tests Positive for COVID-19 [media release]
Renfrew County and District Health Unit(2020,Nov.27) RCDHU Confirms a Student at Renfrew Collegiate Institute Tests Positive for COVID-19 [media release]