Madawaska Valley Fire Chief Corwin Quade, in his role as Community Emergency Management Coordinator (CEMC), has participated in the second Spring Freshet conference call of the year. CEMCs, ministry personnel and watershed partners from across the region confer weekly at this time of year in order to be aware of any potential flooding or other issues. After the call Quade reported:
- Spring has begun much earlier this year; in 2020 at this time the freshet was just starting. Above: Opeongo Road, April 1, 2020 photo Sharon Gardiner
- Flows along the Madawaska River will likely peak on March 31.
- Ontario Power Generation expects to maintain an outflow from Bark Lake close to the minimum. This will start refilling the lake. If the amount of precipitation is normal for the rest of the spring, it is expected that Bark Lake should be refilled by Victoria Day long weekend.
- Snow surveys show that there is very little snow water equivalent left; very little in the southern part of the watershed, essentially none left.
- There is no plan to use any sluice gates this year and all flows will be passing through the stations.
- The Ministry’s Water Safety Condition statement is expected to be renewed for a further period from April 1.
Quade,C.,MV CEMC(2021,Mar.31) Spring Freshet Update #2 [media advisory]
Water Safety Condition extended to April 8
At 10 a.m. on April 1, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry – Pembroke District issued a Bulletin confirming that the Watershed Conditions Statement – Water Safety that is in effect in the District has been extended until Thursday, April 8, 2021.
Residents in Renfrew County should be aware that ice on area lakes is becoming unsafe and water levels and flows in rivers are increasing due to warmer temperatures, forecast precipitation and the remaining snow melting. It is advised to exercise caution near lakes and rivers and to keep a close watch on children and pets at all times to ensure that everyone stays safe.
The Ministry is closely monitoring the weather and developing watershed conditions. Further updates will be issued as appropriate.
Davis,C.,MNRF Pembroke District Office(2021,Apr.1) Watershed Conditions Statement – Water Safety, Pembroke District [Bulletin]