Running for Council this fall?
The next municipal election takes place on Monday, October 24. If you are thinking of running for Council or you just want to learn more about municipal government, here’s your chance. Municipal expert Fred Dean has facilitated these programs for the Association of Municipalities of Ontario since 2002. Madawaska Valley and other municipalities in Renfrew County have partnered to offer a free Candidate Information Workshop led by Dean on Tuesday Mar.29. You have two options to attend:
- 2:00 p.m. via Zoom (link provided when you register)
- 7:00 p.m. in person at Horton Community Centre, 1005 Castleford Rd, Renfrew, ON K7V 3Z8
Please register before Mar.23 by calling Meagan Jessup tel: 613-432-2885 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
As part of its Bereavement Program Madawaska Valley Hospice Palliative Care offers a Grief Group for anyone who has experienced the loss of a special person. Participants can discuss their loss in a safe, confidential, non judgmental environment. Six weekly meetings at 1-3pm starting Tuesday, Apr.5 in the St. Francis Memorial Hospital Education Room. Please register by Mar.31.
- Tel: 613-756-3045 ext.350
- Email: email@example.com
Activities are back!
Now that COVID-19 restrictions begin to ease in the province, Valley residents can at last enjoy more events and programs.
Madawaska Valley Public Library
March Break highlights jointly sponsored by Madawaska Valley and the MV Public Library include:
- Wednesday, Mar.16 at 2:30-3:30pm – Olympic fencing demonstration for all ages by Knights in the Classroom at Paul J. Yakabuski Community Centre, Barry’s Bay. Entry by donation.
- Thursday, Mar.17 at 10am – First Nations teaching, drumming and a craft for children by BIAK EarlyOn at Combermere Community Centre. Free, but please register in advance to ensure enough craft materials.
Cabin Fever Trivia – the popular Take-Home Trivia fundraising event returns for teams of six people, play in-person or online – your choice. Mar.25-27. $25 per team. Register and pay by Mar.24.
For more details and to register, call the Library 613-756-2000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Opeongo Seniors Centre is open for coffee, tea and dessert every Wednesday 11am to 2pm. Pop in for a hot drink and some company, renew your membership or register for an event. Please note the Centre is cashless. Payments by credit or debit card only. Proof of vaccination required (printed version acceptable).
March Dinner and Music: Sunday Mar.27 Chef Dorothy offers a menu of roast pork with all the trimmings, dessert. Music by Landry & Madill. Members $20, Guests $22 (limited to 75 people).
Bus trip to Belleville Shopping Mall: Wednesday Apr.5 Bus leaves Barry’s Bay 8am and leaves Belleville 3pm. Members only. FREE (limited to 50 people). Proof of vaccination required (printed version acceptable).
Stars on Ice: Sunday May 1 at 4pm. Tickets $25 Members only. Seniors pay $32. Details of bus times to follow. CTC centre prohibits large bags, but purses 4x6x15” allowed.
Pop Up Art
Ottawa Valley Community Arts continues to bring you opportunities to explore your creativity by experiencing and participating in Pop Up Art exhibitions throughout Renfrew County.
People and Place is a map of our local waterways unlike any you’ve seen before. Until Mar.20 you can still experience this unique mixed media tapestry by local artists that explores the intersection between people and the natural landscape. On display at Fifth Chute Coffee, 291 Bridge Street, Eganville.
Tree Story continues until Mar.20. Nine local artists were invited to explore human relationships with trees and imagine the stories they might share. The result is Tree Story, an exhibition reflecting each artist’s unique version of a tree’s story, using a range of mediums and techniques, from paint to pyrography, textiles to tin. At Arnprior Library, 21 Madawaska Street, Arnprior.
Royal Canadian Legion, Barry’s Bay Branch 406
Everyone is welcome. Legion membership not required.
- Bingo: alternate Thursdays Mar.10 and Mar.24
- Fish & Chip Dinner: last Friday of each month. Dine in or take out. Reserve by phone 613-756-9027.
- Pancake Breakfast: third Sunday of each month. 8am-12pm. Under 6s free.
- New Members/Honours & Service Awards: Wednesday, Apr.13 at 7pm.
- Club Room: open Monday to Saturday 2pm to 6pm.
- Your own events: The Legion is now accepting bookings for private functions. Please book with Mike Poliquin at 613-756-9027.