MV Fire Dept. called out three times in just over 24 hours

Madawaska Valley Fire Dept. fire fighters were called out on three occasions between Monday Mar.10 at 5 p.m. and 11 p.m. the following night. Each call was different in nature. The first was for extrication at a motor vehicle collision on Monday evening. Then, on Tuesday morning MV fire fighters responded to a Carbon Monoxide call. A structure fire at a Barry’s Bay business was their third call on Tuesday night.

Fire at Hannah’s Diner

Two trucks and twelve MV fire fighters were on site within five minutes of the 11 p.m. call for a structure fire at Hannah’s Diner on Opeongo Line in Barry’s Bay. Fire fighters entered the building amid thick heavy smoke and discovered a plastic box of linens on fire. They removed the box from the building and extinguished the fire outside. Damage was very minimal though the Fire Dept. stayed on the scene for an hour before returning to the fire hall. There were no injuries at this fire call and the cause of the fire was deemed accidental.

Remains of the plastic box after fire fighters extinguished the fire. Working smoke alarms kept the damage minimal. Photo MV Fire Dept.

The people staying in the basement apartment were alerted to the fire when the smoke alarms sounded. They evacuated the building and called 9-1-1 from a safe location. MV Fire Chief Corwin Quade said, “If they had not had working smoke alarms, things could have been a lot different.”

Timely fire safety tip

Next weekend our clocks “spring forward.” Chief Quade reminds residents to use the occasion as a reminder to replace the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms. Also, remember to remove lint from the lint trap in your dryer after every use.

Photos and information submitted by Madawaska Valley Fire Department.

Leave a Reply

You have to agree to the comment policy.

Back to Top