Valley residents can enjoy much more than just March Break activities at Madawaska Valley Public Library (MVPL) this month, said Library CEO Natalie Barrington. While MVPL is partnering with the municipality and the Barry’s Bay Recreation Committee to offer children and families a full week of activities from March 13 to 18 (scroll down for MVPL events), please also consider the following:
The Book Club meets the first Thursday of the month at the Library at 10 am. Barrington said, “This past month, we read Piau by Bruce Murray — a historical novel based on the true story of the Pierre Belliveau who led the Acadians into exile in 1755. Our next book for March is Behind the Beautiful Forevers, by Katherine Boo — a non-fiction book about families striving for better lives in Mumbai. If you are interested in joining, inquire at the library. We have room for one or two more members.” She added, “If you live in the Palmer Rapids area and are interested in a book club, let us know!”
Easter craft workshop
Get ready for Easter with this session for ages 12 and up (teens and adults) on Saturday, March 25 from 1 pm to 3 pm.
You will learn to make a 12-inch Pompom bunny wreath to decorate your home. The workshop cost is by freewill donation to help cover the cost of supplies.
Registration is preferred as there are a limited number of spots.
FREE March Break activities
These are the FREE March Break activities offered by MVPL during March Break. Everyone is welcome:
- Let’s Talk Science on Tuesday, March 14. Let’s Talk Science volunteers from the University of Ottawa will deliver a hands-on STEM workshop for school aged children. The workshop will focus on light, and children will make a kaleidoscope. Pre-registration is required so we have enough supplies. Same program, TWO locations:
- at 10:30 am at the Paul J. Yakabuski Community Centre (PJYCC), Barry’s Bay AND
- at 1 pm at the Palmer Rapids Recreation Centre, Palmer Rapids.
- Board Game Night at the Library on Thursday, March 16 at 7:30 pm. This event is for all ages, snack provided. You can have fun with family and friends and a good, old-fashioned board game.
- St. Patrick’s Day Party on Friday, March 17 from 10 am to 12 pm at the PJYCC (Barry’s Bay arena). MVPL is providing a craft table for this party.
- Lego Creators on Saturday, March 18 from 10:30 am to 11:30 am at the Library. Use your imagination or try one of our Lego challenges! We build with Lego, play games, and take home Lego-themed worksheets.
Assemble your Trivia team now
Always a good night out, Cabin Fever Trivia is back on Friday, April 21 at the PJYCC. Door prizes, canteen. Doors open at 6:30 pm, trivia questions begin at 7 pm.
Now is the time to get your friends, family or coworkers together to form a team of up to six people. Register your team at the library for just $75 per team.
Board game montage: images Unsplash.com