The August Long Weekend is coming up, and so far we’ve had Christmas in July and Fort McDonel Scottish Heritage Day complete with bagpipes. What have those clever folks at the Killaloe Farmers Market got up their sleeves for more themed fun this year?
Farmers Market organizer Rachelle Clayton says they have finalized themes for the rest of 2023 and there is still space for new vendors if you’re so inclined. Spaces cost $15 plus $5 for hydro. You can direct message on Facebook for more information. Facebook/Killaloe Farmers Market
The entire month of August is Garlicfest, and the Killaloe Farmers’ Market is the place to buy all things garlic. Locally-grown garlic, unique products made from garlic, and learn to grow and harvest your own. Anyone in the Valley will tell you about the virtues of Killaloe garlic. Plus shoppers at the market will enjoy some extras during the late summer:
- Aug 12 Water and Dirt Festival
- Aug 19 Irish Gathering, The annual Killaloe extravaganza brings extended hours for the Farmers’ Market (open 9am-4pm) plus a host of Irish produce, baked goods, crafts and more.
- Aug 26 Junior Vendors. This market gives young farmers and crafts makers thye opportunity to show off their talents.
Harvest time in the Valley is a great opportunity to sample local produce and crafts.
- Sept.2 JAMboree starts the month off, with preserves and music on offer
- Sept.9 Pioneer Ways is the theme. Shoppers may recall when the market was located on the site of the former Hoch Farmhouse Museum. Expect even more than usual home made goods and traditional displays.
- Sept.16 Lumberjack Day will doubtless bring out vendors’ choicest buffalo plaid clothing. Why don’t you join in the fun?
- Sept.23 All aboard for Railway History Day. Celebrate the glory days of steam along the traditional route of the Ottawa Arnprior and Parry Sound Railway that crossed the Ottawa Valley.
- Sept.30 Hochtoberfest German Heritage Day. This celebration of the German ancestors of many Valley residents coincides with the Madawaska Valley Fall Studio Tour (Sat-Sun), so stop in for a snack as you travel from one artist’s studio to another on Saturday.
- Oct.7- Thanksgiving Market
- Oct.14-Holiday Faire
- Dec.2 Christmas Market
- Jan.6 KFM