Madawaska Valley Gardening Club
The Club’s annual Christmas potluck dinner takes place on Thursday, Nov.16 starting at 6 pm at the Opeongo Seniors Centre, 19 Stafford Street. Remember also to bring a food donation for the Madawaska Valley Food Bank. After the dinner, and the annual elections at 7 pm, Pamela McNichol of Church Street Flowers will demonstrate Christmas arrangements. Her creations will be auctioned off at the end of the evening. In just one evening you can share a sociable dinner with friends, contribute to the local Food Bank, volunteer to help the MV Gardening Club, learn to make winter floral arrangements, and maybe even solve your seasonal decorating needs.
Madawaska Valley Public Library
It’s a typically busy week for the Library. Please contact the Library to register for workshops by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (613) 756-2000.
- Story time for children up to 6 years – Wednesday, Nov.15 at 10:30 am.
- Sharing Our Stories – this adult writing workshop originally scheduled for Nov.15 with local author Brenda Missen will now take place on Tuesday, Nov.21. Her children’s workshop Sharing Our Animal Stories has been re-scheduled for Saturday, Nov.25.
- Craft and Chat – A social gathering for adults to make crafts and enjoy a cup of coffee is set for Friday, Nov.17 at 10:30am.
- PA Day Children’s Craft – Your kids can create their own felt or foam buddy at 1:30pm on Friday, Nov.17
- Poetry and Photography – Local author Robert Fisher speaks about poetry inspired by the New Brunswick landscape on Saturday, Nov.18 at 1:30pm. NOTE: This event takes place at the Barry’s Bay Legion.
Catch The Ace lottery in aid of local healthcare — The St. Francis Valley Healthcare Foundation’s latest round of its progressive lottery is well under way. Already two weekly prizes have been awarded: Suzanne Klatt of Barry’s Bay won $1,180 in the first draw; and Marie Davis of Hastings Highlands won $900.00 in Week #2. Draws are held weekly on Thursdays and you can buy tickets in person at vendors throughout the Valley or Click HERE to buy your ticket online at www.sfvhfoundation.com Proceeds from the seventh Catch The Ace lottery will help support the endless equipment needs at St. Francis Memorial Hospital in Barry’s Bay.
Ontario Volunteer Service Awards nominations open
The province invites nominations for the 2024 Ontario Volunteers Service Awards. Organizations can nominate their volunteers for an Ontario Volunteer Service Award to recognize their continuous service ranging from five to 65 years. Youth (under 24 years old) can be recognized for two or more years of continuous service. The annual deadline for nominations has been extended to December 15. For more information about the program or to submit a nomination, please visit the Ontario Volunteer Service Awards webpage. All nominations must be submitted electronically through the Ontario Honours and Awards portal, paper copies will not be accepted. The Ministry will provide more information about the ceremonies to recognize these volunteers in early 2024. If you have questions about the Ontario Volunteer Service Awards or how to submit a nomination online, please contact Ontario Honours and Awards Secretariat at OntarioVolunteerServiceAwards@ontario.ca.