The Current received the following news release on October 31 2018 from the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry.
Today marks the end of this year’s wildland fire season — a season unlike anything this province experienced in over a decade.
With more than 1,000 wildland fires in central and northern Ontario, 2018 was one of the busiest fire seasons in the province’s history. To meet this challenge, the government has so far provided an additional $100 million in funding to successfully combat these blazes and keep Ontarians safe. Jeff Yurek, Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry, said,
We recognized the real threat these fires posed to the public, and to the communities and private property in the affected areas, and we took action to respond immediately.
Ontario is an internationally recognized leader in wildland fire management. Vital operational support assisted Ontario crews, and those who offered their help from beyond Ontario’s borders. The Minister is grateful for the provinces and territories, Parks Canada, the United States and Mexico who joined the fight against Ontario’s fires. Yurek said,
This was a challenging season, but I am proud to report, all active fires are officially out thanks to the hard work of our brave frontline crews. Their dedication, courage and perseverance kept affected communities safe, and the Government for the People’s continued commitment and support gave firefighters on the ground and in the air what they needed to get the job done safely and successfully.
For more information on wildfires, please visit www.ontario.ca/forestfires
Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (2018, Oct.31) Historic wildland fire season officially ends [News release].
Featured photo courtesy Joanne Francis on unsplash.com