The fifth annual Opeongo Classic Loppet is scheduled for Saturday, January 26 from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Event host Opeongo Hills Nordic Ski Club calls on all members, friends, family and any other person willing to volunteer their time and help make this happen. Loppet coordinator Peter Cruchet says the event requires a total of at least 30 volunteers and provides this list of the approximate numbers of volunteers required per task:
- Parking, welcome, info (3): control parking, greet participants, direct to registration
- Registration (3): register walk-in skiers, hand out race bibs and race info
- Course marshals (12): position on course to direct skier
- On trail nutrition station (2): organize and hand out drinks to racers (will be near finish line)
- Post event food table (2): serve chilli, buns, dessert and drinks to all participants
- Start/finish officials (6): organize and control start, time and record skiers at finish line
- Results/awards (2): tabulate times and determine finish order for each skier category
- Jack of all trades (2):solve all minor problems for skiers
To volunteer, please contact Peter Cruchet: 613-334-0980 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Take a look at the Opeongo Hills Nordic trail system
Some recent drone footage of the Opeongo Hills Nordic Ski Club trail system is sure to whet your appetite for cross-country skiing. Click the link below to view. This video was shot, edited and produced by Reed Jorgensen.
Would you rather ski instead of volunteering?
Featured photo: Competitors in previous Opeongo Classic Loppet. Photo Chris Hinsperger, Bonnechere Caves