Ottawa Valley Creative Arts Open Studio (OV-CAOS) and our community partners are working with seniors to honour their lives and contributions to our community. We are doing this by collecting stories and taking photographic portraits of up to fifty seniors. The portraits are taken in a location chosen by the participants. The stories and portraits will be exhibited publicly at the end of the project and will also be turned into a printed book. Above photo Maureen MacMillan, Gal Capone Photography
Why are we doing this?
We are challenging existing stereotypes and preconceptions by creating a senior-centred art exhibition and publication where
people are presented to the public in a respectful, professional and ultimately beautiful way. The project will support seniors to explore creative expression on their own or within a group setting. Through the process the participants will be empowered to
show the world who they are and have centre stage.
Who is it for?
This project is for people aged 65 and over. All are welcome and we look forward to sharing the full diversity of our communities here in the Upper Ottawa Valley. If it is safe to do so, the general community will be invited to attend an opening reception of the
What is the timeline?
- JUNE 2020 to OCTOBER 2021 The coming year or so is for planning, consultation, and a photoshoot with a professional photographer. We will have photoshoots outside this summer with those who are comfortable with this. However, we have arranged this project to span over 18 months so we are hopeful that we will be able to work with the ebb and flow of the pandemic, our seasons and the weather.
- JANUARY TO MARCH 2022 The co-ordinators will prepare the photo portraits for exhibition and work with a designer to layout the Honouring Seniors Photo Portraits book. The project concludes with an exhibition, reception and book publication. The participants and the general public will be invited to attend the opening reception of the exhibition.
Project coordinators: This project is brought to you by Ottawa Valley Community Arts.
- Andrew Trull and Anya Gansterer, Artistic Directors and Project Co-ordinators
- Maureen MacMillan, Portrait Photographer
- Kathy Blomquist, Seniors Support Consultant
- Community Resource Centre
- Jennifer Bennett Pond, CRC Senior Active Living Centre
- Barry’s Bay and Area Senior Citizens Home Support Services
This project is funded by New Horizons For Seniors
How can I get involved?
If you’re interested in participating in this project, please contact
Anya Gansterer at 613-633-1236, email@example.com