Prompt action taken by Bartlett Lodge owners to voluntarily close while the Algonquin Park resort was professionally sanitized after a suspected norovirus outbreak means that the lodge can welcome guests tomorrow. Earlier today CTV News Ottawa reported that owner Kim Smith wrote to guests about the situation to advise that a staff member became ill in late July at the same time that a supplier informed them of suspected salmonella in some bad onions. Most fresh produce was disposed of and the member of staff recovered. But when another member of staff developed symptoms, Smith said he began to feel norovirus, not salmonella, might be the problem.
The CTV report goes on, “The staff member was immediately isolated, all of the prepared food and fresh produce was thrown out, and the kitchen was sanitized three times; however, more illnesses were reported. Three additional staff members and nine guests reported similar symptoms. The staff were isolated away from the lodge and are not allowed to return until they are symptom free for more than 48 hours. Six of the guests were tested for COVID-19 as a precaution and received negative results. All of the guests who fell ill have since left the resort.”
Although he had planned to reopen the dining room last Friday, when another member of staff became ill Smith voluntarily closed the entire lodge for the weekend. He remained “in constant contact” with Renfrew County and District Health Unit, and with one of their own camp physicians. An outside firm disinfected and cleaned the entire resort. As a precaution they have also laundered all linens, blankets, towels, face cloths and mattresses pads. These measures were taken while observing their COVID-19 precautions which remain in place at the lodge.
Smith said Bartlett Lodge is ready to welcome guests at noon on Monday, August 11 and is happy to discuss any questions or concerns they may have.